This great easy crochet tote bag is quite flexible. Use it for exploring your favorite markets, storing your towel and sunscreen when on vacation, or even stuffing all your favorite yarn and hooks into while on the go. Its applications are limitless.
How To Knit An Easy Crochet Tote Bag
Learn how to crochet this simple and adaptable crochet tote bag, which is crocheted fully in one piece with no seaming!
Scroll down for the free written pattern.
This crochet tote bag is incredibly simple to make. The bag’s base and sides are worked in a continuous spiral.
To keep anything from falling out, I used half double crochet throughout the bag! The bag’s base is done first. The number of rounds we make here determines the diameter of the bag, so if you want a smaller/larger bag, simply make fewer/more rounds here.
After we finish the base, we will work continuous rounds of half double crochet to make the bag’s “walls.” The height of the bag will be determined by how many rounds of half double crochet you complete here.
Your purse is finished once we have crocheted the simple straps. With some yarn remnants, you may now attach a pom pom or construct a tassel.
Hobbii Kind Feather, a DK premium acrylic yarn, is used to make this crochet tote bag. I’ve used this yarn before and I just adore it. It’s ideal for crafting accessories and clothing of various kinds. Kind Feather is available in a wide range of hues, so there’s bound to be a shade for everyone.
Although Kind Feather is labeled as a Dk or light (3) yarn, it is slightly thicker in my opinion than other Dk yarns I’ve seen. I’d say it’s between a weight 3 and a weight 4, so keep that in mind if you buy another alternative yarn.
NOTES ON THE PATTERN
- This design employs US crochet terminology.
- The crochet tote bag starts with a spirally crocheted foundation. The bag’s sides are crocheted in continuous rounds.
- The spiral is worked in continuous rounds, with the first stitch of each round marked with a stitch marker. DO NOT slip stitch into the first st to connect at the end of the round.
- The first ch of each round does not count as a stitch.
- Yarn: Hobbii Kind Feather in colorway Off White (02)- light worsted/DK/8 ply (100% acrylic)
- 235 m (257 yds) per 3.5-oz (100g) skein
- Yardage – 3 skein or 700 yds
- Hook – Size U.S. E/4 (3.5 mm) or size needed to obtain gauge.
- Notions – Tapestry needle, stitch marker, scissors.
- Pom Pom or yarn tassle
STITCHES & ABBREVIATIONS
- ch: chain
- sc: single crochet
- hdc: half double crochet
- hdcBLO: half double crochet back loop only
- sl st: slip stitch
- st(s): stitch(es)
- rep: repeat
- p.m: place marker
PATTERN FOR A CROCHET TOTE BAG
- Round 1: 3hdc in 2nd ch from hook (p.m in 1st hdc to mark beginning of round), hdc in each of the next 58 chs, 6hdc in last ch. Working on the opposite side of the foundation ch make 58 hdc, 3 hdc in last st.
- Round 2: 2hdc in 1st hdc (p.m in 1st hdc to mark beginning of round), 2hdc in each of the next 2 hdc, hdc in each of the next 58 hdc, 2hdc in neach of the next 6 hdc, hdc in each of the next 58 hdc, 2hdc in each of the next 3 hdc.
- Round 3: hdc in 1st st (p.m in this st to mark beginning of round), 2hdc in next st, hdc in next st, 2hdc in next st, hdc in next st, 2hdc in next st, hdc in each of the next 58 sts, hdc in next st, 2hdc in next st, hdc in next st, 2hdc in next st, hdc in next st, 2hdc in next st, hdc in next st, 2hdc in next st, hdc in next st, 2hdc in next st, hdc in next st, 2hdc in next, hdc in neach of the next 58 sts, hdc in next st, 2hdc in next st, hdc in next st, 2hdc in last st.
- Round 1: hdcBLO in 1st st (p.m in this st to mark 1st st of round) hdcBLO in next 151 sts.
- Round 2: hdc in 1st st (p.m in this st to mark the 1st st of the round) hdc in next 151 sts.
- Rep row 2 until end of round 46.
- Round 47: sc in the next 26 sts, ch 80, skip 24, sc in next 52 sts, ch 80, skip 24, sc in next 26 sts.
- Round 48: sc in each st and ch all the way around.
- Round 49: sc in each st around.
Fasten off and weave in any loose ends.
Attach a pompom or yarn tassel to one of the handles with a tiny piece of yarn.